Superberry Sunday

This dried berry mix is one of my favorite superfood treats.  On their own, they each possess their own unique set of superpowers and together, they make one terrific trio!  I love the way the super sweet mulberry contradicts the pucker power of the goldenberry and that mellow goji guy just brings them all together.

Goji berries have a permanent (and easily accessible) position on our kitchen counter and we always have a steady supply on hand.  The goldenberries...well, they are tart little buggers, so a little goes a long way.  They tend to last a while.  The mulberries on the other hand, they are like gold in this household!  Whoever gets to the bag first strikes it rich.  They are gone in a flash and there is no mercy, where those guys are concerned.  Unfortunately, it can be pretty pricey to keep a supply on hand, so we do try our best to conserve.  I consider it a treat to indulge in an extra bag of these dried white Turkish delights and this weekend I felt like treating myself.  Since I had the bag in my possession I decided to make the best of it and prepare an array of superfruit goodies.  Superberry Sunday, it is.




I have been wanting to try making some sun tea with this berry mix, so I started the day with that.  A carafe of clear, clean filtered water, a couple handfuls of my beloved berry mix and some sunshine is all you need to create a lovely tea infused with superberry superpowers.  Enjoy it in a tall glass of ice, add it to your smoothies, use it to gel your chia seeds or flavor your afternoon cup of green tea.  I will enjoy having a jar of this sun tea this week!


While I waited for the sun to infuse the water with berry power, I started some chia seed cereal for breakfast.  This is the simplest and most satisfying recipe.  Not to mention it is packed with superfood benefits.  Now technically, it is a porridge that I often enjoy for breakfast, but truth be told, I much prefer to think of it as a pudding to enjoy for dessert.  Either way, it's great, it's healthy and it's easy.


For this Superberry Chia Cereal Bowl simply mix together the following ingredients and allow them to gel in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes.  Enjoy it cold on a warm day or warm it up on a chilly morning.    
That's all there is to it.  You can add sweetener or spices if you like.  Sometimes I add a dash of cinnamon or a drizzle of maple or agave syrup.  I like it simple, but you can dress it up however you like.  The possibilities are endless!  This recipe makes 2 servings for me, so now I have a healthy Monday morning power breakfast ready to go.

O.K.  How about some of my favorite trail mix to munch on during the week.  I love all this super-healthy, super-delicious, super-natural food, but once my work week gets going it can be hard to pause to prepare for a superfood break.  I try, but it's a work in progress.  However, having a handful of healthy nuts and berries on hand can stave off the junkie cravings that lead to poor snack choices during the work day.  



 Trail mixes are great and so fun to experiment with!  This Superberry Trail mix is my favorite.
Simple as that.  Great for the trail, between meal snacks or on the run during a busy day.

After a few hours soaking up the spring sunshine, my tea was ready for straining.  I couldn't imagine tossing out all that plumped up superfruit, so I put it on the stove with a splash of the sun tea and a tablespoon each of maple syrup and chia seeds.  I simmered it for a few minutes until the chia seeds began to gel and thicken the mixture.  Then I put it in the blender and pulsed a few times to muddle the berry mix.  This made a nice (though, not-so-pretty) jam to accompany some of our homemade, raw almond butter on a slice of gluten-free toast.  A Great little afternoon snack with a small glass of iced-tea.


I must admit, the most satisfying moment in my Superberry Suday, was my Yogi Tea "fortune" in my cup of kombucha green tea (plus superberry suntea splash)...

 
Don't forget to relax, create and seek some solace in your busy day :)

Labels: , , , , , , ,